Friday 29 January 2021

Banish Depression

Banish Depression... Depression sinks. 

I have been blessed with skills to survive and help many survive. I do not need to list those God worked through me to save from depression but their lives remain testaments to God’s glory. 

The Psalmist questioned depression but immediately proffered solution. Psalm 43:5, “Why are you in despair, my soul? And why are you restless within me? Wait for God, for I will again praise Him For the help of His presence, my God. 

Depression is characterised by low mood, low moments and overall feeling of low self worth. What can you do to banish depression which often drags many into seclusion or loneliness even when not physically alone? 

1. Rather than mourn, grieve or lament, make decisions. To be happy or joyful you must desire and decide to be. This should not always be about mega things; e.g. make a decision to watch a sermon or comedy instead of movie that will make your blood boil or heart race.

2. Remove negatives from your conversation. Every time you want to say “can’t, won’t, don’t”, consider whether “unable”, “can”, “will”, “do” would fit in. Rather than say "I can’t survive" say "By God I will survive" and come up with strategies to work towards it while trusting God to do what you cannot do. Change your self talk and your choice of words. I heard a security officer say to someone, “If you can, please stay warm.” Though said to someone else, it made me feel good. When later I was speaking to a representative, rather than "May I know your name?" I said "Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with", she said loud clear and with cheer in her voice Valentino. She works for EZPASS. 

3. Plan your day at least a day before by having a routine - set wake up time, set prayer time, schedule meals, calls, siesta, schedule time you wish to check your mail and do social media. If your day is open ended, 8-15 hours may go to NOTHING. Also plan what you will wear, eat etc. Even if it is to care for your child, plan it. 

4. Sell, schedule or start something that would make you move... A 10 year old girl gets me out of bed M-F these days. On days I don’t feel like, knowing she would need me, gets me off my bum. With minus -15 weather I sure did not want to get out of bed but I thought of her. Desire for group worship gets me out of bed on Sunday. Yours could be love for your spouse or children.

5. Play music. It wards of negative energy. If you can sing add singing, if you can dance, add dance. It makes you feel good from inside out, just make sure it is not a dirge! 

6. Find a friend, adopt or foster (formally or informally) a child or get a pet and learn to treat the human or animal RIGHT. My friend was upset for what my friend did wrong but I had to say I am sorry because I VALUE the friendship. If the friendship is meaningless, I would click the block button. 

7. Click the block button on toxic people. No matter how influential someone is, if they make your belly turn, click the block button except God says you must work with the person, in which case, you have to ask God for strategies. Family members can become toxic if they are NOT moving you forward. It does not have to be a forever block but to have your head in the right place, click that block for now. 

8. Talk less about ills done to you. Talk more about good by God and others. Positive stories attract blessings. Rather than pity party those you tell tales to will think your problem is too big to solve. I must remember this. Thank you Holy Spirit. For twitter folks who believe I have announced ills more, visit my other pages... And order Living Proof. It is a book filled with stories of God’s mercies. @RunningBrook can tell you more. 

9. Discover a purpose and build on your goals. It will keep you going daily. The goal of counselling, mentoring, advocacy, ministering and publishing make me read more and work hard to have more wisdom to share and publish more titles. I trust it would pay off one day. Also, it helps me direct my energy to something positive. 

10. This is actually NUMERO UNO. Add faith. Whatever you do, ADD FAITH. Have you seen how world power, atomic power, economic power fell flat in the face of pestilence! The world directed many to psychologists and sociologists but they often have no way round issues and end up applying theory to clients. If you believe The Creator, seek, trust and obey as you make Matthew 7:7 your watchword. 


Written by the leading of the Holy Spirit this day 29 January 2021 


 Dr. Omolola Omoteso-Famuyiwa 
is a minister who is passionate about sharing God's words for the healing of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Upon approval, you can view it on the site. God bless you.